Photo courtesy of Nordbuzz
May 9th, 2019
On Monday, May 6th, the Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle and Prince Harry gave birth to their first child, a baby boy, named Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. Here are five things that are more important.
- Climate change – Did you know that the world is ending? It is not going to end in moments but the end is coming up quickly due to rapid climate change. Instead of grabbing a plastic straw, drink straight out of the cup. Instead of using a plastic bag, bring reusable bag to the grocery store.
- Politics – Trump is still president. The 2020 election is rapidly approaching. If you were born before November 3rd, 2002, you can vote in the next presidential election. Start researching candidates and pick which ones you want to turn Twitter notifications on for.
- Dying Animal Species – According to an article by New York Magazine, the United Nations stated that 1 million species are at risk for becoming extinct due to climate change and its effects on the environment. U.N. panel chairman, Robert Watson, said “The bigger issue is the way it will affect human well-being, as we’ve said many times — food, water, energy, human health.”
- School shootings – Are you aware of the school shooting that occurred on Tuesday, May 7th at a STEM school in Denver, Colorado? Probably not since these stories rarely make headlines due to how common these events occur. Unless there is a great amount of students lost, school shootings are pushed aside.
- Black holes – A few weeks ago, 29 year old MIT graduate student Katie Bouman captured the first pictures of a black hole. Read that sentence again. She got a picture of a BLACK HOLE. Now think about that in the grand scheme of space, the progress humans have made to innovate and explore space, and the lengths that humans still have to go. There are still so many unsolved mysteries about space.